Saturday, August 22, 2009

Blankets of Many Colors

Our mom was a quilter. I never knew how many tops she had created until this past year when I brought back home to Promise House 28 quilt tops. This was hard for me as I am sure it was hard for my sisters. Momma always made most of our clothes especially dresses until we were grown and out on our own. I loved the feel of homemade cotton dresses. When my children started coming along Momma once again worked her magic with her sewing machine. I still have the dress that she made Becka at 3 months of course, I got a matching one to go with it.

We, meaning Promise House, along with the Development Office of ABC are hosting a dinner on the 31st for the Association of Development Offices that are within other children homes development offices. Recently, as we sat and planned the evening for our girls to serve, the idea about how to decorate came up. We are having a string band to sing and play for the evening meal. So whirling in our heads was a country theme. I mentioned that I had 28 of my mom's quilt tops in my possession. Mary Lou thought that was an awesome idea for the table tops. I told her they were in no way finished/quilted. She was fine with the idea. I must say at first I was not sure. But you know when God has a part of something it can become an awesome something! She brought the quilts back to the house after she had matched some colored typing paper to each quilt. The girls were asked to make 8 placemats each with Mary Lou to take them to office to laminate them. As Mary Lou layed the quilts out on the table this past Thursday I was amazed! I walked from table to table running my hands over the same quilts that my mom layed her hands on piece by piece. As I looked at the patterns I begin to pick out the dresses she made "us girls" as we were called, the shirts that she made Jesse and John for Easter one year, the dresses that she made Becka and me, my dress for my wedding shower, the dresses she made us girls for the many choir performances at Highland Baptist Church, the summer clothes she made for all her grandchildren at one time or another. I was amazed at the patterns.
I was touched and no, not in the head. I so wanted to call momma and tell her what was happening with her stuff. I could hear her laugh at the thought. I miss those talks with her. I am sure we all do!

On August 31, momma's quilts will be used as table cloths. As that ol song would sing about Momma's hands and the coat of many colors....I will think of those many, many warm quilts on those cold nights all due to momma's hands!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Thank you for leaving me a comment. I can't tell you how much visiting the promise house left an impression on me. I have a load of baby stuff I'm going to get to ya'll soon. Mostly new things. My baby was a miracle child and God overloaded on us so now we are able to bless others.
Would you mind sending me your e-mail? I'd like to ask you a few questions like if it would be okay to send the girls cards or packages? My e-mail is kellyskornerblog@gmail.com. I want to do whatever is acceptable.